Homemade Beef Stroganoff
Homemade Beef Stroganoff: A Comforting and Delicious Recipe
Beef Stroganoff is a classic dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. It originated in Russia and has since become a staple in many households around the world. This hearty meal is perfect for those chilly evenings or when you want something that is both filling and delicious. While there are many variations of this recipe, here is a simple and tasty Homemade Beef Stroganoff recipe that you can easily prepare at home.
Once upon a time, there really was a guy named “Stroganoff” (in the Anglicized version), which is the reason for the name of the delicious beef and pasta dish we’re still enjoying today.
With its tender pieces of beef coated in a succulent creamy sauce and served on a bed of buttered noodles. With all that flavor, you might assume it’s a complicated dish, but it’s actually quite the opposite.
This from-scratch recipe can be whipped up in less than an hour and with just 20 minutes of hands-on time, because it’s really all about simmering. So when you want to impress the family but don’t have all day to do so, this one is a guaranteed hit!
- 600 g / 1.2 lb scotch fillet steak / boneless rib eye
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil , divided
- 1 large onion (or 2 small onions), sliced
- 300 g / 10 oz mushrooms , sliced (not too thin)
- 40 g / 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups / 500 ml beef broth , preferably salt reduced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 150 ml / 2/3 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- 250 – 300 g / 8 – 10 oz pasta or egg noodles of choice (Note 3)
- Chopped chives
1. Use your fist (or rolling pin or mallet) to flatten the steaks to about 3/4cm / 1/3″ thick. Slice into 5mm / 1/5″ strips (cut long ones in half), discarding excess fat.
2. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Scatter half the beef in the skillet, QUICKLY spread it with tongs. Leave untouched for 30 seconds until browned. Turn beef quickly (as best you can!). Leave untouched for 30 seconds to brown. Immediately remove onto a plate. Don’t worry about pink bits and that it will be raw inside.
3. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil and repeat with remaining beef. Turn heat down to medium high. Add butter, melt. Then add onions, cook for 1 minute, then add mushrooms.
4. Cook mushrooms until golden. Scrape bottom of fry pan to get all the golden bits off (this is flavour!). Add flour, cook, stirring, for 1 minute Add half the broth while stirring. Once incorporated, add remaining broth.
5. Stir, then add sour cream and mustard. Stir until incorporated (don’t worry if it looks split, sour cream will “melt” as it heats).
6. Bring to simmer ,then reduce heat to medium low. Once it thickens to the consistency of pouring cream (3 – 5 minutes), adjust salt and pepper to taste.
7. Add beef back in (including plate juices). Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from stove immediately. Serve over pasta or egg noodles, sprinkled with chives if desired.
Enjoy your homemade beef stroganoff with a glass of red wine or a cold beer for a perfect meal to share with family and friends.
Use beef tenderloin or sirloin for a more tender and flavorful dish.
Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce or Dijon mustard to the sauce for an extra kick of flavor.
Make sure to cook the mushrooms until they are well browned to enhance their flavor.
If you prefer a creamier sauce, add more sour cream to the mixture.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days and reheated on the stovetop.
In conclusion, homemade beef stroganoff is a classic and delicious meal that can be enjoyed any time of the year. This recipe is easy to make and can be customized to suit your personal taste preferences. So, next time you’re looking for a hearty and comforting meal, give this recipe a try and impress your family and friends with your cooking skills.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPES?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.