Mini Red Velvet Cakes
For the Dough :
- 250 gr./8.8 oz. flour
- 125 gr./4.4 oz. unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 250 gr./8.8 oz. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 240 ml./8.1 fl. oz. buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon red baking die
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
For the Cream :
- 125 gr./ 4.4 oz. Cream cheese “Philadelphia”
- 125 gr./ 4.4 oz. Italian cream cheese “Mascarpone”
- 100 gr./3.5 oz. soft cow’s butter
- 100 gr./3.5 oz. Powder sugar To
- Fresh mint leaves
– Preheat the oven to 170°C ( 338°F). Place a baking paper on a oven size tray pan and set aside.
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, cocoa powder and vanilla powder. In another bowl, whip together the butter and sugar until it becomes a white fluffy substance. Set aside.
2. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar and eggs on a high speed until smooth and creamy, adding the eggs one by one.
3. In a small bowl mix together 2 tbsp from the mixture with the red food coloring and 1 tbsp buttermilk. Mix well and set aside.
4. With the mixer on a low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mixing each addition just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
5. Pour the batter into the tray pan and make smooth. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back when gently touched and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. However do not over bake otherwise your cake base may dry out. Remove from the oven and allow the cake base to cool in the pan set on a wire rack. Cool completely.
Make the frosting :
1. In a large bowl whisk the butter and powdered sugar. In another bowl mix the two types of cheese.
2. You may use a wooden spoon or a silicone spatula (do not use a mixer). Mix the two mixtures carefully and transfer into a pastry bag with a 6 mm round piping tip.
Assembling and serving :
1. After the cake base is completely cooled, cut 16 identical circles using a 7 cm (2,75”) diameter stainless steel ring. Pipe the cheese frosting over half of them (8 pieces). Top the frosting with the other (8 pieces) and decorated the top again with cream frosting as you like. Put all mini cakes in refrigerator for several hours.
2. Before presenting leave them for about 15 minutes at room temperature and garnish with fresh berries and mint leaves.