Lemon Velvet Cake
Developed from an outstanding Red Velvet Cake recipe, this lemon cake is a perfectly moist and tender crumbed cake with a lemony buttercream frosting. An ideal birthday cake for the lemon lover in your life.
Lemon lovers, this homemade Lemon Velvet Cake recipe is for you!
We have several lemon cake recipes on our site, and this latest addition with its velvety smooth texture and wonderful lemon flavor is sure to become a new favourite!
What makes this recipe unique from other lemon scones is the cream cheese in the batter. It adds a rich, creamy texture to cake without making it bulky or heavy.
PREP TIME COOK TIME
20 minutes 35 minutes
●1 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
●1/2 teaspoon baking soda
●1 1/2 tsp baking powder
●1 teaspoon salt
●1 1/2 cups sugar
●2/3 cup vegetable oil
●1/3 cup vegetable shortening at room temperature
●1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
●2 tsp pure lemon extract
●3 large eggs
●1 1/2 cups buttermilk
●zest of two small or one large lemons, grated and finely chopped
For the Frosting
●4 cups icing sugar, powdered sugar 1 cups unsalted butter
●1 tsp pure lemon extract
●1 tsp minced lemon zest, optional 2 tbsp milk, approximately
1. Grease and flour 2 nine inch round cake pans and line the bottom with 2 circles of parchment paper. Sift together both flours, baking soda. baking powder, salt and sugar, Set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the vegetable oil, shortening, vanilla and lemon extract. Beat well at high speed with whisk attachment until light and fluffy
3. Beat the eggs in one at a time.
4. Fold in the lemon zest.
5. Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk.
6. I always add dry ingredients in three divisions and liquid ingredients in 2 divisions. It is very important to begin and end the additions with the dry ingredients. Do not over mix the batter.
As soon as it has no lumps in the batter, pour into the two prepared 9 inch cake pans.
7. Bake at 325 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
To prepare the frosting
1. Mix together the icing sugar, lemon zest and butter until it becomes sort of crumbly.
2. Add the lemon extract and a little of the milk.
3. Beat until smooth and fluffy, adding only enough milk to bring the frosting to a creamy spreadable consistency.
4. Fill and frost the cake. Garnish with candied lemon zest if desired.
To make candied lemon zest
1. Remove the zest with a sharp vegetable peeler in long strips, avoiding as much of the white pith as possible.
2. Bring one cup of water and one cup of sugar to a slow boil.
3. Add the pieces of lemon zest and boil for about 15 minutes. Drain the lemon zest on a wire rack.
4. When cool, cut them in strips and roll in fine sugar.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed.
For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Previous versions of this recipe have included twice the amount of frosting.
In this recent update I’ve halved that to provide enough frosting for the middle and top as man people seem to prefer. If you want to frost the entire sides of the cake as well.
please feel free to make one and a half or even two times the recipe. It depends on how much frosting is your personal preference.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only.
Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
➤That’s it, all you have to do is Enjoy !
➤‘Carammelle’ offers you everyday fresh, fun and easy recipes. You can find the best quick and easy to make recipes, simple meal planning ideas and cooking techniques.
➤DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
➤How you went with my recipes?
➤Don’t forget to leave a comment below!