Beef Tips and Gravy is a classic comfort food dish that is perfect for those cold, winter nights. This hearty and filling dish is perfect for feeding a hungry crowd, and it’s easy to make too. In this article, we’ll go over the ingredients and steps needed to make this delicious meal, as well as some pro tips to make it even better.
— Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 ½ lbs. sirloin tips
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon EACH: salt, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika
- ¼ cup dry red wine, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon EACH: dried thyme, dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons corn starch + 1/4 cup cold water
— How to make it :
Combine beef seasoning mix and measure out gravy ingredients before beginning.
Cut meat into 1-inch cubes, discard any large pieces of fat.
Combine beef seasoning and sprinkle it over the meat. Toss to coat. Sprinkle flour over the meat and toss again.
Heat 3 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat in batches, don’t overcrowd the pan. Brown on each side for 30-45 seconds.
Add a splash of more oil if needed. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef. *Don’t cook the beef all the way through.
You want it to cook in the gravy to add more flavor.
Add ¼ cup wine and use a silicone spatula to “clean” (deglaze) the bottom of the pan, removing any brown remnants.
The brown specks are called “fond” and will give the sauce lots of good flavor.
Let the wine gently bubble and reduce by half. Reduce heat to medium and add the butter and the onions. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add all remaining gravy ingredients except the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil.
Combine the corn starch and cold water. Whisk into the sauce, a little at a time.
Stir continuously. Continue until your desired consistency is obtained.
Reduce heat to medium-low and add the beef along with the juices from the plate. Cook with the lid partially covered for 10-15 minutes, until beef is cooked through.
Remove from heat.
Optional: Swirl in 1 Tablespoon of COLD butter at the end, this is called “Monter au Beurre” and it adds a smooth, velvety finish to sauces and gravies.
- For the beef tips, you can use sirloin, top round or bottom round. Just make sure to cut it into bite-sized pieces so it cooks evenly.
- You can also use beef bouillon cubes or granules instead of beef broth, just make sure to follow the instructions on the package to get the right ratio of water to bouillon.
- If you want a thicker gravy, you can add more flour and water to the mixture. Just make sure to whisk it until it’s smooth and there are no lumps.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
— Pro Tips:
- To make the beef tips even more tender, you can marinate them in the fridge for a few hours or overnight in a mixture of beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and thyme.
- To make the gravy even more flavorful, you can add some chopped mushrooms, bell peppers or celery to the skillet when cooking the onion.
- For a creamier gravy, you can add some heavy cream or sour cream to the mixture after the beef tips are cooked through.
- If you want to save time, you can use pre-cut stew meat instead of cutting your own beef tips. Just make sure to brown it well before adding it to the gravy.
In conclusion, Beef Tips and Gravy is a delicious and easy-to-make meal that is perfect for a cozy night in. With the right ingredients and some pro tips, you can make this classic comfort food dish even better. So next time you’re in the mood for something hearty and filling, give this recipe a try!
Carammelle’ offers you everyday fresh, fun and easy recipes. You can find the best quick and easy to make recipes, simple meal planning ideas and cooking techniques.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
How you went with my recipes?
Don’t forget to leave a comment below!