Lasagna is a traditional Italian dish that has gained popularity all over the world. It is a hearty and satisfying meal that is perfect for feeding a crowd. However, making lasagna from scratch can be time-consuming and challenging. But fear not, because this easy lasagna recipe will help you create a delicious and comforting dish in no time.
➔ Here’s what you’ll need:
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese, 2 cups
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- ¾ lb. ground beef
- ¾ lb. ground Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 40 oz. marinara sauce, see notes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 lasagna noodles, plus extra in case of breakage
- 2.5 cups mozzarella cheese
➔ How To Make It :
- Prep Work:
- Combine the cheese filling ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. Measure out remaining ingredients.
- Make the Meat Sauce
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add the diced onions. Let them soften for 10 minutes. (This allows them to release a little sugar which is a nice offset to the acidity of the tomatoes.)
- Add the ground beef and sausage and increase heat to medium-high. Use a spatula to break up the meat so that it’s very fine and crumbled. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through. Add garlic during the last minute. Drain excess grease.
- Add the chicken broth and use a silicone spatula to “clean” the bottom and sides of the pot. Add the marinara sauce, tomato paste, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover partially and let the sauce simmer gently.
- Preheat Oven and Cook the Lasagna Noodles
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Begin boiling a large pot of salted pasta water for the lasagna noodles. Once a rapid boil is reached, cook the noodles to al dente according to package instructions. (Set a timer to ensure you don’t overcook them.) Gently stir with a wooden spoon throughout cooking to prevent the noodles from sticking. Drain and rinse with cold water until noodles are completely cool.
- Lay the cooled noodles flat on wax or parchment paper while you begin assembling the lasagna.
- Spread 1 heaping cup of meat sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Next, add 4 lasagna noodles, overlapping them if needed.
- Spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles, followed by about 1 ½ cups of meat sauce.
- Top with 4 more lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, 1 ½ cups meat sauce.
- Finish with 4 more lasagna noodles, the rest of the ricotta mixture, and the rest of the meat sauce.
- Top with 2 ½ cups of Mozzarella cheese.
- Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray and place it spray-side-down on top of the baking dish to prevent the cheese from sticking to it
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove and garnish with fresh parsley. Let it sit for 15 minutes prior to serving to allow the layers to set. Serve with garlic bread with cheese.
You can substitute ground beef with ground turkey or Italian sausage for a different flavor.
If you want to add more vegetables to your lasagna, try adding spinach or mushrooms to the cheese mixture or the meat sauce.
Make sure to rinse the cooked lasagna noodles with cold water to prevent them from sticking together.
➔ Pro Tips:
Use a sharp knife to cut the lasagna into serving pieces. A dull knife can make the layers fall apart.
If you have leftover lasagna, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat in the oven or microwave before serving.
To make the lasagna ahead of time, assemble it as instructed but don’t bake it. Cover it with foil and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Bake it when you’re ready to serve.
For a crispy top layer, sprinkle some breadcrumbs or extra Parmesan cheese on top of the lasagna before baking.
In conclusion, this easy lasagna recipe is perfect for a family dinner or a special occasion. With the notes and pro tips provided, you’ll be able to make a delicious lasagna that everyone will love. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients or variations of the recipe to make it your own. Enjoy!
➤That’s it, all you have to do is Enjoy !
➤‘Carammelle’ offers you everyday fresh, fun and easy recipes. You can find the best quick and easy to make recipes, simple meal planning ideas and cooking techniques.
➤DID YOU MAKETHIS RECIPE?
➤How you went with my recipes?
➤Don’t forget to leave a comment below!