Goulash is a dish that originated in Hungary and has become popular all over the world. The American style of goulash is a hearty, comforting dish that is perfect for a chilly evening or a family gathering. This dish is a flavorful and filling combination of ground beef, pasta, and vegetables, cooked in a rich tomato sauce. In this article, we will share with you an easy and delicious recipe for American-style goulash.
▢¾ pound ground beef
▢½ large yellow onion diced
▢2 cups beef broth
▢14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
▢1 cup marinara sauce
▢1 bay leaf
▢2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
▢2 teaspoons soy sauce
▢1 teaspoon garlic powder
▢½ teaspoon paprika
▢½ teaspoon seasoned salt or to taste
▢¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
▢1 cup elbow macaroni uncooked
▢½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese optional
▢Chopped parsley optional garnish
In a Dutch oven, cook the ground beef and onion together until the onion softens and the meat cooks through, about 3-5 minutes.
¾ pound ground beef,½ large yellow onion
Drain any grease.
Add the beef broth, marinara sauce, diced tomatoes, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, soy sauce, garlic powder, paprika, seasoned salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
2 cups beef broth,14.5 ounces diced tomatoes,1 cup marinara sauce,1 bay leaf,2 teaspoons Italian seasoning,2 teaspoons soy sauce,1 teaspoon garlic powder,½ teaspoon paprika,½ teaspoon seasoned salt,¼ teaspoon pepper.
Turn heat down to medium low and simmer for 5 or 10 minutes, covered.
Add the elbow macaroni and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 12-15 minutes. Don’t overcook.
1 cup elbow macaroni
Remove the bay leaves and adjust the seasonings to taste.
Add the shredded cheese, optional. If you are using a Dutch oven, you can pop it in the oven and melt and brown the cheese if desired.
½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Garnish the finished dish with chopped parsley, optional.
➔ Nutrition Information:
This American-style goulash recipe serves 6 people. The nutrition information for each serving is as follows:
Total Fat: 14g
Saturated Fat: 5g
Total Carbohydrates: 47g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
- You can use any type of ground meat in this recipe, such as turkey, chicken, or pork.
- If you prefer a spicier goulash, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the pot.
- This recipe can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- If you want to make this recipe vegetarian, you can use a meatless ground meat substitute and vegetable broth instead of beef broth.
- This recipe is a great way to sneak in extra veggies. You can add diced carrots, celery, bell peppers, or zucchini to the pot along with the onion and garlic.
- This dish is high in protein and fiber, making it a satisfying and filling meal. However, it is also high in sodium, so be mindful of your sodium intake if you are on a low-sodium diet.
- You can serve this goulash with a side of crusty bread or a green salad to round out the meal.
In conclusion, American-style goulash is a delicious and comforting meal that is easy to make and perfect for a family dinner. With its hearty combination of pasta, ground beef, and vegetables, this dish is sure to become a favorite in your household. Try out this recipe and enjoy the comforting flavors of goulash today!
Carammelle’ offers you everyday fresh, fun and easy recipes. You can find the best quick and easy to make recipes, simple meal planning ideas and cooking techniques.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
How you went with my recipes?
Don’t forget to leave a comment below!