Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe: A Comforting and Hearty Meal
Beef stew is a classic comfort food that’s perfect for chilly nights or when you’re looking for a filling and satisfying meal. While there are many ways to make beef stew, using a slow cooker is a great option because it allows the flavors to develop over time and the beef to become tender and succulent. Here’s a recipe for a slow cooker beef stew that’s easy to make and sure to please everyone at your table.
➤ You’ll need :
- 2 ½ pounds stew meat, see notes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3-6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons cold butter, separated
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup high-quality cabernet sauvignon, merlot works as well. See notes.
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp better than bouillon, or 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 5 medium carrots, cut into chunks, about 1-inch
- 1 lb. baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup Cold Water + 3 tablespoons Corn Starch, Optional
- 2-3 drops Gravy Master, (Optional)- Adds an even richer darker color.
➤ Step-by-Step Guide to Making it :
Cut meat into 1-inch cubes, discard any large pieces of fat. Fat marbleized into the meat is fine!
Sprinkle beef with black pepper, garlic salt, and celery salt. Toss to coat. Sprinkle flour over the meat and toss again.
Heat 3 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the meat in batches, don’t overcrowd the pan. Brown on each side for 45 seconds. Add more oil if needed. Transfer to slow cooker.
Reduce heat to medium and melt 1 Tablespoon butter. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Use a silicone spatula to clean the bottom of the pan, removing any brown remnants.
This will give the soup lots of good flavor. If necessary, add a splash of wine to help loosen it. Transfer the onions/garlic mixture to the slow cooker.
Add all remaining ingredients except for the peas, corn starch mixture, and 2 tablespoons of cold butter.
Cook on low for 7 ½ to 8 hours or high for 3½ to 4 hours, until the vegetables are softened and the potatoes are fork tender.
Add the peas during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Remove the bay leaves and rosemary stem.
Optional: To thicken, combine ¼ cup COLD water with 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch. Slowly add it to the stew, stirring to incorporate. It will continue to thicken upon standing.
Turn off the heat. Swirl in 2 tablespoons of cold butter for a smooth, velvety finish. This is a technique that chefs use called “Monter au Beurre”.
Optional: Add 3 drops of Gravy Master (or Kitchen Bouquet) for an even darker color.
➤ Pro Tips:
- For a richer and thicker stew, coat the beef cubes in flour before browning them.
- If you want to add more depth of flavor, you can deglaze the skillet with red wine after sautéing the vegetables, then pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
- You can add more vegetables, such as mushrooms, sweet potatoes, or parsnips, to the stew for extra nutrition and flavor.
- For a more savory stew, add Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce to the mixture.
- This recipe makes about 6 servings.
- You can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- To freeze the stew, let it cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
➤ Nutrition Information:
Saturated Fat: 6g
In conclusion, slow cooker beef stew is a simple and hearty meal that’s perfect for a family dinner or a cozy night in. By following this recipe and adding your own personal touches, you can create a delicious and satisfying meal that everyone will enjoy. Whether you’re a beginner cook or an experienced chef, slow cooker beef stew is a recipe worth trying.
Carammelle’ offers you everyday fresh, fun and easy recipes. You can find the best quick and easy to make recipes, simple meal planning ideas and cooking techniques.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
How you went with my recipes?
Don’t forget to leave a comment below!