Loaded Scalloped Potatoes Recipe: The Ultimate Comfort Food
When it comes to comfort food, few dishes can match the creamy, cheesy goodness of scalloped potatoes. But why settle for plain scalloped potatoes when you can make them even more decadent and delicious? This recipe for Loaded Scalloped Potatoes takes the classic dish to the next level with the addition of bacon, cheddar cheese, and green onions. Here’s everything you need to know to make this delicious dish.
▢3 pounds Yukon gold sliced into 1/4-inch slices
▢4 tablespoons unsalted butter
▢3 cloves garlic minced
▢¼ cup all-purpose flour
▢2 cups chicken broth
▢2 cups cold milk
▢½ tsp kosher salt
▢½ tsp pepper
▢Pinch ground nutmeg
▢2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
▢8-10 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
▢Fresh chives chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with olive oil spray and set aside.
Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
Melt butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then stir in flour until well combined.
Slowly whisk in chicken broth, cook for 1 minute, then stir in milk.
Whisk until smooth, seasoning with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese until melted.
Spread ¼ cup of the sauce over the prepared baking dish. Arrange ⅓ of the sliced potatoes evenly over the sauce.
Top with ⅓ of the sauce to cover the potatoes, then sprinkle with ⅓ cup of the cheddar cheese and ⅓ of the bacon.
Continue layering two more times in that order with the remaining potatoes, sauce, cheese, and bacon and repeat. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for another 5 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Turn the broiler to high and brown the cheese, if desired.
Garnish with chives and serve warm.
➔ Pro Tips:
- Use a mandoline or a food processor to slice the potatoes thinly and evenly. This will ensure that they cook evenly and don’t become mushy.
- If you want to save time, you can use pre-cooked bacon or bacon bits instead of cooking the bacon yourself.
- For a vegetarian version of this dish, simply omit the bacon and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- To make this dish even more indulgent, you can add a layer of sliced ham or cooked chicken between the layers of potatoes.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven before serving.
- If you’re using a different size baking dish, adjust the cooking time accordingly. A smaller dish will require longer cooking time, while a larger dish will require less time.
- You can use any type of cheese you like in this recipe, but cheddar is a classic choice that pairs well with the bacon and green onions.
- Be sure to use unsalted butter in this recipe to avoid making the dish too salty.
- You can customize the seasoning to your liking by adding more or less garlic powder and onion powder, or by using fresh garlic and onions instead.
In conclusion, Loaded Scalloped Potatoes is a delicious and indulgent dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re serving it as a side dish or a main course, this recipe is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. So go ahead and give it a try – your taste buds will thank you!
That’s it, all you have to do is Enjoy !
‘Carammelle’ offers you everyday fresh, fun and easy recipes.
You can find the best quick and easy to make recipes, simple meal planning ideas and cooking techniques.