Southern Crab Beignets: A Perfect Blend of Southern and Seafood Delight
If you’re a seafood lover, and you’re looking for a tasty and unique recipe to try, Southern Crab Beignets should be on your must-try list. This recipe is a perfect blend of Southern-style cuisine and seafood delight. Crab beignets are light and fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside, and packed with a delightful flavor of crab meat, cheese, and spices.
Here is the recipe for Southern Crab Beignets:
➔ You’ll need :
- 1 lb blue crab meat or any good-quality crab meat (cooked)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Creole mustard or, coarse grain mustard
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup White Remoulade Sauce (Recipe Below)
1. Put the crab meat in a bowl and use your hands to pick the meat free of any shells. Do this at least twice.
2. In a medium bow, whisk the eggs until they’re light and foamy and then whisk in the mayonnaise and mustard.
3. Use a spoon to stir in the lemon juice, scallions, red onion, salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
4. Fold in the Panko and then gently fold in the crab meat so it doesn’t get broken up from too much mixing. The batter should be just thick enough to barely hold together when frying. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to help it firm up further.
5. In a large, deep skillet or pot, heat 2 inces of canola oil to 350° F.
6. Using 2 medium-sized spoons, drop a few spoonfuls of the crab mixture at a time into the oil and fry until a nice golden brown color forms on the outside, 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bites to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with the remaining batter, frying in batches so as not to crowd the pan.
8. You can keep the cooked bites warm in a 200° F oven, if desired.
9. Serve with White Remoulade Sauce.
— WHITE REMOULADE SAUCE :
•1/4 cup yellow onion finely chopped
•1/4 cup scallions finely chopped
•zest and juice of 1/2 of lemon
•1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
•1 cup good-quality real mayonnaise
•Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and chill at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours to allow the flavors to develop before serving!
- For a healthier version of this recipe, you can use a mixture of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour, or you can substitute the all-purpose flour entirely with almond flour or coconut flour.
- To make the beignets gluten-free, use gluten-free all-purpose flour or a gluten-free baking mix.
- You can also add other seafood like shrimp or crawfish to the batter for a twist on the classic crab beignets.
— Nutrition Information:
Each serving of Southern Crab Beignets contains approximately 380 calories, 19g of fat, 25g of carbohydrates, and 23g of protein. These numbers may vary depending on the size of the beignets and the type of dipping sauce used.
In conclusion, Southern Crab Beignets are a delicious and unique way to enjoy seafood. The combination of crispy batter, cheesy goodness, and succulent crab meat make this recipe a must-try for any seafood lover. Whether you’re hosting a party, or just looking for a new recipe to try, these beignets are sure to be a hit.
That’s it, all you have to do is Enjoy !
‘Carammelle’ offers you everyday fresh, fun and easy recipes.
You can find the best quick and easy to make recipes, simple meal planning ideas and cooking techniques.