Zucchini Soup Recipe: A Delicious and Nutritious Meal
Zucchini soup is a simple and healthy recipe that is perfect for any season. Whether you want a light lunch or a hearty dinner, this soup is easy to make and packed with nutrients. It’s also a great way to use up any leftover zucchini in your fridge. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at this delicious recipe and show you how to make it at home.
➤ You’ll need :
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch cayenne, optional
- 5 cups zucchini, cut into chunks
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, (or Worcestershire sauce)
- 2 Russet potatoes, equal to 1 pound
- 1/2 cup Half and Half, or heavy cream
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
➤ Step-by-Step Guide to Making it :
- Note: There is no need to peel the zucchini for this soup unless yours is jumbo sized, in which case it’s possible that the skins are tough and slightly bitter.
- Shred the cheese from a block for best results. Set aside to allow to come down to room temperature. This will allow it to melt and combine into the soup smoothly.
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add diced zucchini and seasonings: (1/4 tsp each of: dried rosemary, thyme, celery salt, kosher salt, pepper, and an optional pinch of cayenne.) Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Peel and rinse the potatoes. Cut them into small pieces of equal size so that they cook evenly and quickly.
- Add diced potatoes, chicken broth, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Skim up any brown foam from the top if needed.
- Let simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are very fork tender. About 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender or transfer to a blender in batches to blend until smooth.
- Transfer back to the heat on low. Stir in the half and half.
- Slowly sprinkle in the cheese and stir to combine. Remove from heat and serve!
➤ Becky’s Tips:
- To make the soup even creamier, add a diced potato to the pot when you add the zucchini.
- If you prefer a more substantial soup, add cooked rice or quinoa to the pot after blending.
- For added protein, top the soup with grilled chicken or shrimp.
- To add some heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the soup while it’s cooking.
Zucchini soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. To reheat, simply heat the soup over low heat on the stove, stirring occasionally, until it is heated through. This soup also freezes well, and can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
Zucchini is a low-calorie vegetable that is high in fiber, vitamin C, and potassium. This soup is a healthy way to enjoy these nutrients, and the addition of heavy cream provides a source of healthy fats. One serving of zucchini soup (assuming 6 servings per recipe) contains approximately 160 calories, 10 grams of fat, 4 grams of protein, and 16 grams of carbohydrates.
In conclusion, zucchini soup is a tasty and nutritious way to enjoy your vegetables. With this easy recipe and Becky’s tips, you can create a delicious and satisfying soup that can be served hot or cold. Whether you’re looking for a healthy lunch or a light dinner, zucchini soup is a great choice.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how it turned out!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe below and leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!