Chicken and gravy is a classic comfort food that’s easy to make and satisfying to eat. This recipe is perfect for those who want a hearty meal that’s packed with flavor. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or for a large group, this recipe is sure to please everyone at the table.
➤ To Make This Recipe, You Will Need The Following Ingrédients :
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup flour
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup wine, see notes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup beef broth, see notes
- ½ chicken bouillon cube, see notes
- 1 splash heavy cream, can sub half and half
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, can sub soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon each: onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon each: dried thyme, ground sage, pepper
➤ Step-by-Step Guide to Making it :
In a large measuring cup with a spout, combine the chicken broth, beef broth, cream, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings and set aside. (This is the “gravy mixture”)
Slice the chicken in half lengthwise to create 2-3 thinner slices. Cover with saran wrap and use the textured side of a meat mallet to pound it to ½ inch thick. Pat dry.
Season each side with salt/pepper, then sprinkle with flour and rub it over the surface of each side. (The flour gives it a little texture and prevents it from sticking to the skillet. It also thickens the gravy a little more at the end.)
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken in batches for 4-5 minutes per side, until a golden crust has developed. Set aside.
Turn the heat off. Add the wine and then set the heat to medium. Use a silicone spatula to clean the bottom and sides of the skillet, the “fond” will add more flavor to the sauce. Bring to a gentle bubble and reduce by half, about 3-4 minutes.
➤ Pro Tips:
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. This ensures that it’s cooked to a safe temperature and will also prevent it from drying out.
- To get a nice golden-brown crust on the chicken, pat it dry with paper towels before cooking.
- If you prefer a thicker gravy, add more flour to the skillet when making it. If you prefer a thinner gravy, add more chicken broth or heavy cream.
- Add some fresh herbs, such as thyme or rosemary, to the gravy for extra flavor.
Store any leftover chicken and gravy in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply microwave it or heat it up on the stove.
One serving of this chicken and gravy recipe contains approximately:
Chicken and gravy is a delicious and comforting meal that’s perfect for any occasion. With this easy recipe, you can make it at home and enjoy all the flavors and comfort that it brings.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPES?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.