Ham and Bean Soup is a classic dish that is hearty, comforting, and perfect for a chilly day. This soup is easy to make and is packed with protein and fiber, making it a healthy and satisfying meal.
- ½ tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 (15.5) ounce cans white beans rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ¼ – 1 ½ lb bone in ham steak
Heat oil in a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook until the onion and celery have softened; 6-7 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic, thyme leaves, cumin, white pepper and crushed red pepper cooking for 1 minute while stirring constantly.
Stir in the chicken broth, brown sugar, white beans and bay leaves.
Add the ham steak by slicing it into sections that will fit in the pot. Don’t forget to include the ham bone. Let everything simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Then remove the ham from the pot and cut into bite size pieces. Discard any fat, skin, the ham bone and the bay leaves.
Then return the ham to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes. If desired season to taste with additional black pepper, crushed red pepper or thyme.
For a creamy texture puree a small portion of the soup with a handheld immersion blender or in a stand blender.
Always remove the inner cap when blending hot liquids.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the ham and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- To save time, use canned navy beans instead of dried beans. Rinse and drain the beans before adding them to the soup.
- This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
— Nutrition Information:
This recipe makes approximately 8 servings. Each serving contains approximately:
Ham and Bean Soup is a nutritious and delicious meal that is perfect for any occasion. It can be served as a main course or as a side dish, and it is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. With its high protein and fiber content, this soup will keep you full and satisfied for hours, making it a great option for a healthy and filling lunch or dinner. So go ahead and give this classic recipe a try, and enjoy a warm and comforting bowl of Ham and Bean Soup!
Carammelle’ offers you everyday fresh, fun and easy recipes. You can find the best quick and easy to make recipes, simple meal planning ideas and cooking techniques.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
How you went with my recipes?
Don’t forget to leave a comment below!