Bittersweet Chocolate Cake Recipe: Rich, Decadent, and Perfect for Chocolate Lovers
Who doesn’t love chocolate cake? This rich and decadent dessert is perfect for any occasion, from birthdays to dinner parties. And if you’re a true chocolate lover, then you’ll definitely want to try this bittersweet chocolate cake recipe.
▢8 ounces bittersweet, dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (not unsweetened)
▢10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces (1¼ sticks)
▢4 large eggs, separated
▢⅔ cup granulated sugar
▢3½ tablespoons all purpose flour
▢Powdered sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line bottom of 9-inch round cake pan with 2-inch sides with parchment paper.
Spray with non-stick baking spray with flour, or butter bottom and sides and dust with flour. Set aside.
Place chocolate and butter in double boiler over simmering water, stir until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
In large bowl, whisk yolks and sugar until pale yellow. Mix in flour and the slightly cooled chocolate mixture.
In another bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric handheld mixer until soft and stiff peaks form but not too dry.
Fold whipped egg whites into chocolate mixture and fold and stir until incorporated with no white streaks.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25 to 35 minutes until toothpick inserted in middle has just a few attached crumbs. Let cake cool completely in pan on a rack.
Run sharp knife around sides of pan and turn cake out onto plate or platter, remove parchment paper, dust with powdered sugar and serve.
- Be sure to use unsweetened cocoa powder for this recipe. Sweetened cocoa powder will make the cake too sweet.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make a substitute by mixing 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before using it in the recipe.
- Make sure the coffee is completely cooled before adding it to the batter. Hot coffee will cook the eggs and ruin the batter.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in short intervals in the microwave, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Be patient when making the whipped cream frosting. Whisking the cream and sugar until soft peaks form takes time, but it’s worth the effort for the fluffy and creamy texture it gives to the cake.
This bittersweet chocolate cake recipe yields 12 servings. Each serving contains approximately:
Total Fat: 23g
Saturated Fat: 12g
Total Carbohydrates: 51g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
If you’re a chocolate lover, then this bittersweet chocolate cake recipe is a must-try. It’s rich, decadent, and perfect for any occasion. Just be sure to follow the recipe notes and take your time with the whipped cream frosting, and you’ll have a delicious and impressive dessert
Carammelle’ offers you everyday fresh, fun and easy recipes. You can find the best quick and easy to make recipes, simple meal planning ideas and cooking techniques.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
How you went with my recipes?
Don’t forget to leave a comment below!