Soft Baked Lemon Cookies Recipe: A Citrusy Delight
Lemon is a versatile fruit that adds a tangy and refreshing twist to any dessert. These soft baked lemon cookies are a perfect example of how a simple citrus fruit can turn a classic treat into a zesty and flavorful delight. The recipe is easy to follow, and the result is a batch of light, fluffy cookies that will brighten up any day. Here is how you can make them at home:
- 10 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of 2 lemons (about 1 Tbsp lemon zest)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure lemon extract
- 5 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, and lemon zest.
Add the egg, egg yolk, lemon juice, lemon extract, and yellow food coloring. Mix thoroughly.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until incorporated, scraping the bowl as necessary.
Scoop 1½ Tbsp sized cookie dough balls and roll them in a bowl with ¼ cup powdered sugar.
Place cookies on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 9 to 10 minutes.
Store cookies in an airtight container or plastic bag up to 5 days.
➔ Storage :
These soft baked lemon cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months. To thaw, simply let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before enjoying.
- Be sure to use fresh lemons for the best flavor.
- If you prefer a less sweet cookie, you can reduce the amount of granulated sugar by 1/4 cup.
- If the dough is too soft, refrigerate it for 10-15 minutes before scooping.
- You can add a glaze to the cookies by mixing powdered sugar with fresh lemon juice and drizzling it over the cooled cookies.
In conclusion, these soft baked lemon cookies are a delightful treat that can be enjoyed any time of the year. The recipe is easy to follow, and the end result is a batch of cookies that are light, fluffy, and bursting with citrusy flavor. Store them properly, and they will last for days, or freeze them for longer shelf life. Don’t forget to add your own touch by experimenting with different glazes or toppings.
This is an easy one and oh so good.
Try it out and don’t forget to RATE and COMMENT below!