Baked Zucchini Squash Casserole. Recipe: A Healthy and Delicious Side Dish
Zucchini is a versatile and nutritious vegetable that can be cooked in a variety of ways. One of the tastiest and healthiest ways to prepare zucchini is by making a baked zucchini squash casserole. This delicious dish is easy to make and is perfect as a side dish for any meal.
➤ You’ll need :
- 2 lb. zucchini, cut into ½” circles
- 2 lb. yellow squash, cut into ½” circles
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
➤ Step-by-Step Guide to Making it :
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add in the zucchini and squash and cook for about 10 minutes, until tender.
Drain and arrange in a greased 3 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
To another large pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the heavy cream, until the mixture begins to thicken.
Stir in the garlic and parmesan cheese and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
Pour the creamy, cheesy mixture over the zucchini and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the center is nice and bubbly. Enjoy!
➤ Becky’s Tips:
- Make sure to slice the zucchini and yellow squash thinly so that they cook evenly and are not too watery.
- You can use any type of cheese that you prefer in this recipe. Becky likes to use a combination of cheddar and parmesan for a nice blend of flavors.
- If you want to make this dish even healthier, you can substitute whole wheat breadcrumbs for the regular breadcrumbs.
➤ Nutrition Information:
One serving of baked zucchini squash casserole (1/8th of the recipe) contains approximately:
This dish is high in protein and low in carbohydrates, making it a great option for those following a low-carb or ketogenic diet. The zucchini and yellow squash are also high in fiber, which can help promote healthy digestion and keep you feeling full.
In conclusion, baked zucchini squash casserole is a healthy and delicious side dish that is easy to make and can be enjoyed by the whole family. Whether you are looking for a tasty way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet or simply want a new recipe to try, this dish is sure to be a hit. Give it a try and enjoy the benefits of this nutritious and flavorful dish!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPES?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.