Caldo Verde, or Portuguese Kale Soup, is a traditional soup hailing from the northern region of Portugal. This simple but delicious soup is made with kale, potatoes, onions, garlic, and chorizo sausage. It is perfect for a cozy dinner on a chilly evening, and it’s easy to make with just a few ingredients. Here is a recipe for this comforting soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled, quartered, and sliced thin
- 4 cups finely chopped kale, collard or mustard greens
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- Zest of one lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 12 ounces hard Portuguese Chouriço sausage, Linguiça, or Spanish Chorizo
- 15 ounces white beans, drained (1 can)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
Place a 6-quart heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
Next add the potatoes, chopped kale, chicken broth, sherry, lemon zest, smoked paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pot.
Bring to a boil, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes to soften the potatoes and kale.
Peel the casing off the sausage. Cut the sausage links into quarters lengthwise.
Then slice into thin wedges.
Stir in the sausage, white beans, and heavy cream.
Simmer another 5 minutes. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
➔ Recipe Notes:
- To make the soup vegetarian or vegan, simply substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth and omit the chorizo sausage.
- If you can’t find chorizo sausage, you can use another type of sausage, such as Italian sausage or andouille sausage.
- This soup can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently over low heat before serving.
➔ Nutrition Information:
One serving of this Portuguese Kale Soup (Caldo Verde) contains approximately:
Saturated Fat: 5g
Kale is a superfood that is rich in vitamins A, C, and K, as well as iron and calcium. This soup is a great way to incorporate more kale into your diet, and it’s also a good source of protein and fiber. The chorizo sausage adds a smoky, spicy flavor that complements the kale and potatoes perfectly. Overall, this Portuguese Kale Soup is a healthy, hearty, and satisfying dish that is sure to become a favorite in your household.
That’s it, all you have to do is Enjoy !
‘Carammelle’ offers you everyday fresh, fun and easy recipes.
You can find the best quick and easy to make recipes, simple meal planning ideas and cooking techniques.