Hamburger Steak (with Gravy!): A Comfort Food Classic
Hamburger steak, also known as Salisbury steak, is a classic comfort food that has been enjoyed by families for generations. It’s easy to make, budget-friendly, and can be served with a variety of sides. Plus, the addition of gravy takes this simple dish to the next level. Here is a delicious recipe for hamburger steak with gravy, along with some pro tips to ensure that your dish is a success.
— Ingredients :
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef, 85% lean
- 4 Tablespoons frozen butter
- ½ cup yellow onion, very finely minced
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced into ¾ inch strings
- 3 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, separated
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup cold water + 3 tablespoons corn starch
— Method :
Prepare the Steaks:
Shred the frozen butter
Gently combine the minced onions, butter, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and the meat. Don’t overwork the meat or it will make the steaks tough.
Form into evenly sides oval steaks. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Remove from fridge and season each side with salt and pepper.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. (Cast iron will sear the meat the best.)
Add the hamburger steaks and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
Make the Gravy:
Decrease heat to medium-low. Melt 2 Tablespoons butter to the pan and add the onions. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the onions soften and begin to caramelize.
Add the chicken broth, beef broth, onion powder, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce.
Run a silicone spatula along the bottom of the pan to lift up any remnants of meat, this will give the gravy extra flavor.
Mix in the cornstarch and cold water until combined.
Bring the gravy to a boil and whisk in the cornstarch mixture.
Continue to whisk and decrease heat to medium.
Finish the Meal:
Add the steaks back to the pan and cover for 10 minutes, until cooked through. The internal temperature should be 160 degrees.
Swirl in the remaining 1 TBS cold butter at the end. This is a chef-inspired finishing technique that adds a velvety finish to the gravy.
Spoon the gravy on top. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with mashed potatoes and roasted carrots!
— Pro Tips:
- Use high-quality ground beef: The better the quality of the beef, the better the hamburger steak will taste. Look for beef that is at least 80% lean.
- Don’t overwork the meat: Mix the ingredients together just until everything is combined. Overmixing can result in tough, dry patties.
- Let the patties rest before cooking: Letting the patties sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes before cooking allows them to cook more evenly.
- Make the gravy in the same skillet: Using the same skillet to cook the patties and make the gravy allows the flavors to meld together.
- Use beef broth instead of water: Beef broth adds more flavor to the gravy than water would.
Hamburger steak with gravy is a classic dish that is perfect for a cozy night in. With this recipe and pro tips, you can create a delicious and comforting meal that your whole family will love.
This is an easy one and oh so good.
Try it out and don’t forget to RATE and COMMENT below!