If you’re looking for a delicious dessert recipe that’s easy to make and guaranteed to impress, look no further than Million Dollar Bars. This recipe features a layer of shortbread crust, a rich caramel filling, and a smooth chocolate topping. Not only do these bars taste like a million bucks, they’re also easy to customize to your liking. Plus, with a few simple tweaks, you can make these bars a bit healthier.
Here’s how to make Million Dollar Bars, along with some notes and variations:
▢2 ½ cups crushed shortbread cookies
▢7 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
▢2 tablespoons white sugar
▢1 cup caramel bits
▢2 teaspoons milk or almond milk
▢1 cup milk chocolate chips
▢2 teaspoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir the shortbread crumbs and sugar together in an 8 x 8 square baking pan. Add the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Pat the mixture firmly into the pan. Use a spatula, your hand, or the bottom of a glass to press it into the pan.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes to a light golden brown. Cool the crust in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes or until it is firm. (Do not place a warm or hot Pyrex dish in the freezer).
- Melt the caramel bits and milk in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until it is smooth and creamy.
- Immediately spread the caramel mixture evenly over the crust. Be careful not to tear the crust.
- Cool the caramel layer in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes or in the freezer for 10 minutes, or until it is firm.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir.
- Continue to melt in 10-second intervals until it is smooth and creamy. Immediately spread the chocolate evenly over the caramel layer.
- Let the chocolate dry for a couple of minutes, then sprinkle the top with flaky sea salt. Place the pan in the refrigerator and let them cool completely.
- To neatly cut Million Dollar Bars, remove the pan of bars from the refrigerator and let it sit out for about 5 minutes.
- This will allow the chocolate to soften just a bit so it doesn’t crack when cut.
- Use a sharp knife to cut them into squares or rectangles, to resemble Twix bars.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week or in the freezer for up to three months.
- These bars can be a bit messy to cut, so be sure to use a sharp knife and wipe it clean between cuts.
- If you don’t have corn syrup, you can substitute with honey or maple syrup.
- To make these bars a bit healthier, you can try using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour, and coconut oil instead of butter. You can also use dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.
- Add some chopped nuts to the caramel layer for some extra crunch.
- Swap out the chocolate chips for white chocolate or peanut butter chips.
- Add some sea salt on top of the chocolate layer for a sweet and salty twist.
Serving size: 1 bar
Total Fat: 14g
Saturated Fat: 8g
Total Carbohydrates: 41g
In conclusion, Million Dollar Bars are a delicious and easy dessert recipe that’s sure to impress. With a few simple tweaks, you can customize these bars to your liking, and even make them a bit healthier. So go ahead and give this recipe a try – your taste buds will thank you!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPES?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.